Lausanne, Switzerland: The current Commonwealth Video games in Birmingham, England and a collection of take a look at matches between Poland, Austria and Chile have made some affect upon the FIH World Rankings amongst each the boys’s and girls’s nations.
Whereas there have been shifts and actions up and down the desk, the highest of the boys’s and girls’s rankings stays unaltered. Australia males, victors in Birmingham for the seventh consecutive time, are sitting on the high of the boys’s rankings with 2851 factors. Belgium (2742) and Netherlands (2646) are in second and third place.
Germany (2340) males sit in fourth place, whereas a silver on the Commonwealth Video games helped India (2294) preserve its place in fifth, simply forward of Commonwealth Video games bronze medallists England (2158) in sixth.
Argentina (2082) and Spain (1849) are in seventh and eighth place respectively, whereas New Zealand’s (1778) fifth place in Birmingham means the Black Sticks stay in ninth.
Additional down the desk, South Africa males’s (1450) spectacular fourth place end on the Commonwealth Video games sees them transfer to 14th, one place forward of Canada (1421). Wales (1383) stay in sixteenth whereas Pakistan’s (1333) performances over the 2 week lengthy competitors sees them rooted to 18th spot. Scotland (1159) are additionally non-shifters in twenty first place.
Chile (959), Austria (1169) and Eire (1469) are presently concerned in a three-team take a look at collection. The outcomes thus far have favoured Eire because the Inexperienced Military has moved from 14th to thirteenth. Austria stay in nineteenth place whereas Chile sit at twenty third.
Within the girls’s rankings there isn’t any motion within the high three. Netherlands (3155) proceed to high the desk as they’ve for the previous decade. Argentina (2714) are in second positioned with Australia (2589) in third after a silver medal win in Birmingham.
England (2289), who received their first ever Commonwealth Video games gold medal have jumped to fourth place, with Germany (2189), Belgium (2159) and Spain (2143) in fifth, sixth and seventh respectively. New Zealand’s (1995) fourth place end hasn’t altered their place at eighth, and India (1953) are simply behind in ninth place.
China (1805) make up the highest 10, forward of Asian rivals Japan (1693) and Korea (1649). Canada’s (1421) efficiency in Birmingham helped them transfer as much as 14th; Scotland (1224) are unmoved at seventeenth and South Africa (1151) stays at twentieth within the rankings. Wales (961) dropped from twenty third to twenty fourth.
Kenya’s (604) first look on the Commonwealth Video games noticed then transfer up two place to thirty seventh, after a win over neighbouring Ghana within the classification match. Ghana (684) drop one spot to thirty second.
To see the whole FIH World Rankings, please click on right here.
The rankings calculations mannequin that FIH launched on 1st January 2020 moved away from the earlier tournament-based rankings system to a dynamic, match-based technique the place opposing groups change factors in official, FIH sanctioned video games. The variety of factors exchanged will depend on the results of the match, the relative rating of the groups and the significance of the match. Extra details about the brand new rankings mannequin could be discovered beneath.
How the FIH World Rankings work:
The variety of factors exchanged will depend on the results of the match, the relative rating of the groups and the significance of the match.
FIH World Rankings defined:
- Primarily based on the Elo ranking system, which is used as the premise of many different sports activities rating programs
- When two nations play in opposition to one another, plenty of rating factors are exchanged between them
- In each match, the variety of factors gained by one group is strictly matched by the variety of factors misplaced by the opposite
- Groups will win extra factors for beating groups ranked above them, and due to this fact groups will lose extra factors for shedding to a group ranked beneath them
- Groups will win much less factors for beating groups ranked beneath them, and due to this fact groups will lose much less factors for shedding to a group ranked above them
- If a draw happens, the decrease ranked group will acquire a small variety of factors and the upper ranked group will lose the identical variety of factors
- The variety of factors exchanged depends on the results of the match (win, lose, shootout win/loss or draw), the significance of the match (a part of a serious match, or a take a look at collection for instance), and the relative distinction in rating factors between the groups earlier than the match.
Extra particulars in regards to the formulation used within the algorithm, weightings of matches and different components could be discovered HERE along with a Ceaselessly Requested Questions doc HERE.